”Did BBS wheels go out of business?”September 21, 2022
Can you clean makeup brushes with Dawn?September 21, 2022
Tomatoes contain an acid that helps to remove tarnish on brass and other metals; that’s why applying a tomato-based product can work wonders on brass. Ketchup, tomato paste, and tomato sauce all work equally well.
- Why does tomato ketchup clean brass? If you have a brass item that's tarnished over time, you might be surprised to learn that you can clean it with ketchup! The acids in the ketchup will break down the tarnish, making quick work of the cleaning process.
- How can you tell real brass? The best way to differentiate between bronze and brass metal alloys is by examining the tarnish on your piece. Bronze tends to tarnish brown while brass might turn black. Another indicator is the color and how the object reflects light. If the piece is yellow with a shiny finish, it is likely brass instead of bronze.
- How do you make brass hinges look new? Smear a tomato-based product on the hinge. Apply a thin patina of ketchup, marinara sauce, or tomato paste to the brass hinge using a paper towel or hand cloth. Allow the tomato-based product to remain on the brass hinge for about 60 minutes. Dip a clean cloth or sponge in hot, soapy water, then scrub the brass hinge.
- What's the difference between brass and bronze? What are brass and bronze? Brass and bronze are both metal alloys, which means they are a combination of two or more different metals. Brass is composed of copper and zinc, whereas bronze is made up of copper and tin, sometimes with other elements such as phosphorus or aluminium added in.
- How do you clean brass with ketchup? Ketchup & Tomato Juice Yes, ketchup. The mild acid in tomatoes removes tarnish and dirt from brass. Rub ketchup onto your brass item with a soft cloth, rinse with warm water and then dry thoroughly. You can also soak small brass items in a bowl of tomato juice to clean them.
- How do you restore brass-plated hardware? Apply a thin layer of ketchup (or other tomato sauces or pastes, which work equally well) to the brass-plated item. Leave it for about an hour before washing it off with soap, water, and a soft cloth. The vinegar in the ketchup brings the shine back to brass plating.