Why is restaurant ice clear?September 21, 2022
Can I clean my laptop screen with water?September 21, 2022
We know because we’ve tested all of those tricks… except for the washing machine. All you really need is time; you need to cook the octopus just long enough so that the tough and chewy collagen in its flesh converts into silky and tender gelatin.
- "Should I wash octopus before cooking?" If buying fresh octopus, ask the fishmonger to clean it for you. However, if the octopus is not pre-cleaned, wash and clean it, removing the ink sac and internal organs by making a circular cut around the beak, with a paring knife. Pull away the beak and the organs will come with it. All frozen octopus is pre-cleaned.
- How long should octopus be cooked? The most basic way of cooking octopus is to simmer it in liquid. Fill a saucepan with salted water and bring to the boil. Add the octopus, reduce the heat immediately and simmer gently for 45–60 minutes. It's important that the water is turned down to a gentle simmer once the octopus is in the pan.
- How long do you cook clams for? Clams release liquid as they cook. Steam the clams on medium heat, with the lid on, for 5 to 7 minutes. Clams cook like popcorn: some cook faster than others. Stir or shake the pot during cooking so that all the clams have room to open up.
- How do you cook octopus so it's not chewy? Blanch the unbrined octopus arms for 30 seconds in boiling water, cook them in a covered dry pan in a 200-degree oven for four or five hours or until tender, and cool them slowly in their own juices. Pour off the juices and boil them down to concentrate them.
- "Do I need to soak kidneys before cooking?" Do not skip the presoaking step before cooking the beef kidneys, or the finished dish may have a strong, unpleasant flavor. If you don't have time to soak the kidneys for two hours, boil the pieces in water for several minutes and drain them thoroughly before cooking.
- How long do you cook octopus for? Gently boil the octopus for about 15-20 minutes per pound of octopus, testing the texture with a fork every 10-15 minutes until it has become fully tender and ready to serve.